What is Veganuary?
The heart of the Veganuary campaign is a 31 day vegan pledge, every January. Veganuary started in the UK in 2014 and has been launched in 192 countries with an increasing number of participants from year to year: 2021 saw a growth of 45% in active pledges and the hashtag Veganuary had over 170 millions views on TikTok at the end of January 2021*.
Why should your business join Veganuary 2022?
- Veganuary is a good cause and a great business opportunity.
- January shows an increase in demand for vegan dishes.
- Drive footfall and attract new customers
- Create excitement and increase word of mouth
- Increase of media coverage of Veganuary
Veganuary marketing tips for restaurants and pubs
For Veganuary 2022, the Garden Gourmet team has created essential tips and guidance on how to use social media to create a buzz and drive sales.
The digital landscape is evolving by the minute, creating exciting opportunities for businesses to interact with their customers. From the possibility to buy online, to personalized campaigns and engaging with your followers, there are many ways to work on your online presence. As plant-based is skewing for a younger audience digital presence is essential.
CAPTURING ATTENTION FROM THE START
Be sure to make your posts visual by adding a picture or a video.
- Keep your copy short, positive, and fun.
- Introduce your key Veganuary 2022 message immediately within the first 5 seconds. The earlier your post, video or ad delivers your key message, the wider reach you will gain.
- Use keywords such as ‘vegetarian’, ‘plant-based’ and ‘vegan’ together with recipes, as consumers search for these keywords.
- Where possible, try to add a question at the end of your copy, to engage with your followers.
CONNECT WITH YOUR CONSUMERS THROUGH EMOTION AND STORYTELLING
- The use of humour and suspense usually receives better brand recollection.
- When your followers comment on your posts or stories, interact with them! Even if the comments are negative, always stay positive and supportive.
- Get creative with emoji’s. There’s a world of food-related emoji’s and beyond and they make for a nice variation in dry text-based posts.
Our top 6 marketing tips for Veganuary so you can stand out from the crowd on social media
Stick to the following 6 practical rules, and you’re very likely to experience growth on your social media interaction in no time. Here is how to make sure your marketing tactics for Veganuary 2022 will have the maximum impact.
- DELIVER IMMEDIATE BRANDING
- Take care of clear and meaningful brand integration from the very first frame.
- SIZE THE VIDEO FOR MOBILE
- Use vertical format for maximum impact, 4:5 for video in feed and 9:16 for stories.
- Take care of a 1:1 safe zone within the feed posts so there’s no content falling of the screen when people browse through their feed.
- SOUND OFF OR ON?
- The majority of news feed posts are watched without sound, so your video should have sound, but should work just as well without it.
- For YouTube videos, make sure sound is always on.
- LENGTH OF CREATIVE ADS AND VIDEO’S
- For Facebook and Instagram your creative should ideally be 10 seconds or under. For YouTube ads the creative may be up to 30 seconds or less. To make sure your message gets across, share it in the first 5 seconds of your video!
- FREQUENCY & VARIETY
- We recommend posting on your business feed between 2-3 times a week, with a minimum of once a week to engage with your consumer. A high frequency of posting will affect the algorithm and make your content show up on your followers’ timelines more often.
- Make sure you vary the type of content for Veganuary 2022. Use photos, videos, reels, stories and interactive stories like polls. Variation is also key for your content to get seen and it will attract more interest from your fanbase.
- HASHTAGS & CAPTIONS
- Get creative with captions to let the world know you have plant-based options available. Ensure to use language like ‘plant-based’ to appeal to all customers. You can also utilize events throughout the year such as International Burger Day, Veganuary, Earth Day and more to promote your menu.
- Use relevant and niche hashtags and @mentions of relevant brands/people in your post to reach the right audience and encourage engagement.
- Use several hashtags that are relevant for your brand and the type of content you’re making. Food content works great on socials so make use of that. Using popular hashtags like #vegetarian #vegan #vegansofIG #plantbased #healthyfood #foodie #Gardengourmet #sensationalburger #veganuary2022 will make your content pop up with the followers of this hashtag.
With the right Veganuary content and strategy, these consumers are just a click away of becoming your next valued dinners for this movement and beyond. Next, check out our simple Veganuary menu tips for restaurants looking to grab the attention of their vegan and vegetarian customers.
* Veganuary Corporate End of Campaign Report 2021