1 onion (150g)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1.2 litre water
600g lean mince beef
1 tsp oregano
20g MAGGI® Vegetable Bouillon
Black pepper, to taste
350g mushrooms, mixed, sliced
500g MAGGI® Rich & Rustic Tomato Sauce
1 tsp. basil, chopped
Prep: 15 minutes. Cook: 60 minutes.
- In a large pan fry the onions in vegetable oil until soft, then add garlic and mushrooms and cook on low heat until fragrant.
- Add the minced beef to the pan followed by the water and break down with a whisk.
- Bring to the boil and skim the excess scum/fat off the surface (this is a brilliant way to reduce the fat in the mince). Stirring in the oregano and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the tomato sauce and MAGGI Vegetable Bouillon and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Add the basil two minutes before serving, and some black pepper to taste.
- Serve with spaghetti cooked as per pack instructions.
By adding the raw mince to water and bringing to a simmer, all the fat and scum will rise to the surface and is easily removed with a ladle. It’s a very effective way of removing excess fat instead of draining in colander. Use roughly diced onions and blitz in the food processor; this saves time chopping and blends well into the mince sauce.
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.