Rhubarb Fool with a Ginger Crunch by Tracy Healy SCOTY Winner 2017
- 0:35 TIME
- 4 portions
For the ginger crunch
30g plain flour
25g caster sugar
16g golden syrup
1.5g Dried Ginger
1.5g bicarbonate of soda
20g SHREDDED® Wheat
For the rhubarb fool
200g tinned rhubarb
half fresh orange
200ml whipping cream
60ml CARNATION® Condensed Milk
Prep: 20 minutes. Cook: 15 minutes.
To make the ginger crunch
- Place all the ginger crunch ingredients into mixing bowl
- Mix until it resembles coarse breadcrumb texture
- Spread the mixture over a baking tray and bake for 10 – 12 minutes 180°
- Half way through baking mix the ingredients to re crumble
- Once cooked set aside to cool
To make the rhubarb fool
- Drain the rhubarb add the juice of ½ an orange and zest
- Set some chunky pieces aside for garnish, along with some of the orange zest
- In a clean bowl whip cream until stiff peaks
- Add condensed milk and re whip until firm
- Fold ¼ of the rhubarb into cream mixture. If not using straight away cover and place in fridge.
- Place the rhubarb fool into a piping bag.
- Layer rhubarb compote, pipe the rhubarb fool mix then top with the ginger crunch mix. Add a second layer, same sequence.
- Garnish with rhubarb and zest of orange which you had set aside.
This dish dates back to the sixteenth century and also goes perfectly with gooseberry’s to give those tart notes. This dish dates back to the sixteenth century and also goes perfectly with gooseberry’s to give those tart notes
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.