4 chicken breast fillets, diced
2 egg whites
Salt and pepper
4 large chicken thighs, boned
200g spring greens, blanched
25g egg white
1.5g lemon juice
reduced white wine
Cured Egg Yolks
12 egg yolks
800g sliced white onions
1Ltr CHEF® All Natural Chicken Stock
440ml dry stout
Stout Pickled Onions
440ml dry stout
250ml balsamic vinegar
5 sprigs rosemary
5 sprigs thyme
24 baby onions
Prep: 45 minutes. Cook: 3 hours.
- Blitz the chicken breast in a food processor until smooth. Add the egg white and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz until the mousse is shiny and smooth. Pass through a fine sieve, transfer to a piping bag and refrigerate for 1 hour until it becomes firm.
- Working with one chicken thigh at a time, place between two sheets of food wrap and flatten with a rolling pin to an even thickness.
- Lay out a clean, large sheet of wrap and lay the flattened chicken thigh skin side down in the middle. Lightly season and pipe a quarter of the chicken mousse along the centre of the meat. Add a layer of spring greens and using the wrap to help, roll the chicken up tightly together to seal in the filling.
- Repeat with the remaining thighs and mousse.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and carefully add the chicken ballotines. Cover and remove the pan from the heat. Allow the chicken to poach in the pan, off the heat for about 20min.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, remove the wrap, pat dry with kitchen towel, slice and place in the middle of a serving bowl.
Stout Pickled Onions
- Place all the ingredients except baby onions in a pan, bring to a simmer and reduce by half. Strain through a fine sieve and allow the liquid to chill.
- Peel and blanch the baby onions then steep in the pickling liquid for 2 hours before serving. This liquor is suitable to pickle onions and leeks.
- Place the sliced chicken ballotine in the centre of a serving dish. Place the cured egg yolk on top, surround with fresh spring greens and 2 halved pickled onions. Pour the consommé around and serve immediately.
<p> </p><p> </p><p property="schema:cookingMethod"><strong><u>Onion Consommé</u></strong></p><ol property="schema:cookingMethod"
><li>Place the onions, stock and stout in a large bag and vac pack on full pressure. Cook in a water bath at 90°C for 30 Hours.</li><li>Open the bag and drain the stock through a fine muslin cloth. Reduce by half then chill.</li><li>Whisk the egg whites until slightly fluffy. Add the lemon juice and whisk into the stock. </li><li>Heat until a cake takes shape on top and the stock beneath is clarified.</li><li>Very carefully strain the stock through a muslin cloth, make sure not to break up the cake.</li><li>Finish with reduced white wine and season. Hold until ready to serve.</li></ol><p> </p><p><strong><u>Cured Egg Yolks</u></strong></p><ol><li>Stir sugar and salt in a bowl and spread half in a shallow, flat dish.</li><li>Lay the yolks on top of the sugar, salt mix and gently pack the remaining mix over the top.</li><li>Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.</li><li>Line a rack with muslin, place over a baking sheet and gently transfer the yolks to sit on top. Cover with another layer of muslin, leave in a well ventilated area of the kitchen until dry and firm.</li></ol><p> </p>
Slice the onion into delicate slices in order to enhance flavours. Use the CHEF® All Natural stock to save time when making this dish.
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.