For The Chakalaka
30g root ginger, peeled and grated
3 small red chillies, finely chopped
1 green pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
1tsp vegetable oil
50g medium curry paste
400g MAGGI® Rich & Rustic Tomato Sauce
For The Bhajis
600g chickpeas, cooked and rinsed
20g CHEF® Premium Lobster Fumet
1tbsp CHEF® Asian Liquid Concentrate
100g MAGGI® Coconut Milk Powder Mix
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp cayenne (optional)
2 cloves garlic
4 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
200g crab meat, flaked
20g fresh coriander, chopped, or 1tsp ground coriander
2tbsp vegetable oil
Prep: 20 minutes. Cook: 25 minutes.
- Make the chakalaka. In a large pan fry the ginger, chilies and green pepper in the vegetable oil for 5 minutes, or until the pepper has softened.
- Add the curry paste and cook on a low heat for around 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Chill until ready to use.
- To make the bhajis – place the chickpeas, lobster stock, Asian concentrate, coconut milk powder, cumin, cayenne (optional) and the garlic into a food processor. Blend to form a smooth paste. Pour the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, egg, crab meat and the fresh coriander until combined.
- Roll into 20 evenly-sized balls.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the bahjis for 4-5 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot or cold with the chakalaka.
These bhajis can be made ahead the day before and left in the fridge to chill overnight before cooking.
Per bhaji with chakalaka
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.