Caribbean Vegetable Patties
- 0:55 TIME
- 10 portions
For The Filling
1 yellow pepper, deseeded, cored and finely chopped
300g butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
10g root ginger, peeled and finely grated
200g sweetcorn kernels, thawed if frozen
½tsp ground coriander
½tsp ground allspice
150ml MAGGI Rich & Rustic Tomato Sauce
1tbsp CHEF Vegetable Liquid Concentrate
5g fresh coriander, chopped
For The Pastry
900g plain flour
230g butter, cubed
8-10tbsp cold water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Prep: 20 minutes. Cook: 30-35 minutes
- Place the peppers, carrots and butternut squash into a large pan with just enough boiling water to cover. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are just tender. Drain well.
- Transfer the drained vegetables to a large bowl and add the ginger, spring onions, sweetcorn, ground coriander, allspice, rich & rustic tomato sauce, the vegetable liquid concentrate and the fresh coriander. Mix well until combined then set aside to cool.
- Put the flour and turmeric into a food processor with the butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water a tablespoon at a time, briefly processing between each spoonful until it comes together as a dough. You may not need to use all of the water. Roll dough into a ball, cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven 160°C). Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. When the pastry has chilled, lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll the pastry out to ½cm thickness. Cut 30 x 8cm discs of pastry using a cookie cutter.
- Divide the filling mixture equally among the pastry discs, covering only one half of each disc and leaving a 1cm border around the edge.
- Brush the edges of the pastry lightly with a beaten egg, then fold the free half of each disc over the filled half and seal by pressing down on the edges with a fork.
- Arrange the patties on the baking paper and brush the tops with the remaining beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve these tasty patties with a spicy tomato, chilli and red onion salsa.
Per 3 patties
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.