Braised Vegetarian Sausages with Cheesy Mash and Gravy
- 0:35 TIME
- 10 portions
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 medium red onions (300g), thinly sliced
1tsp. brown sugar
60g MAGGI® Gluten Free Vegetarian Gravy
10 vegetarian sausages
900ml hot water
200g MAGGI® Mashed Potato Flakes
120g mature cheddar cheese, grated
20g spring onion, washed and thinly sliced
Prep:10 minutes. Cook:25 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the sliced red onions and sugar and fry for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelised.
- Once the onions are caramelised, add the 900ml of water to the same pan and bring to the simmer.
- Slowly whisk the gravy powder into the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the sausages into a casserole dish. Pour the onion gravy over the sausages making sure they are all covered with the gravy and bake on a moderate over at 180°C for 20 to 30 minutes until core temperature of 80˚C is achieved.
- While the casserole is cooking, steam the peas according to packet instructions.
- Add the potato flakes, cheddar cheese, spring onions to a bowl.
- Add the hot water and whisk for 30 seconds or so, leave to reconstitute for 2 minutes and whisk again to mix everything together and serve.
Instead of using spring onions in the mash, try using thinly sliced cooked Savoy cabbage of different mustards.
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.