150g stoned dates, roughly chopped
1 lemon, juice and finely grated zest
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 medium bananas, peeled and mashed
1tbsp dark rum
85g unsalted butter, softened
55g dark soft brown sugar
170g CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1tsp baking powder
115g walnut pieces, plus extra for decoration if liked
225g self-raising flour
2 large eggs, beaten
Prep:15 minutes. Cook:1 hour 15 minutes, plus cooling time.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C (fan 150*C). Butter and line the base of a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
- Place the dates in a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and zest, bicarbonate of soda and 2 tablespoons boiling water. Leave to cool, then add the bananas and rum.
- In a large bowl whisk together the butter, sugar and condensed milk until creamy. Gradually whisk in the eggs and then the banana mixture. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir until well combined. Fold in the walnut pieces.
- Transfer the cake mixture to the prepared loaf tin, if desired, sprinkle some more walnuts over the top of the cake. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool for 15 minutes then turn out, remove the lining paper and cool on a wire rack.
This loaf freezes very well. Either freeze whole or cut into slices and interleave with baking parchment. Overwrap in baking parchment and foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before serving.
Per slice (1/8th loaf)
of which: saturates
of which: sugars
*Reference Intake of an average adult (8400 kJ/2000 kcal).
Based on the stated recipe. Portions should be adjusted for children of different ages.