Spring your team into action this March!
With green shoots and flowers already ushering in Spring 2020, now is the perfect time to dust off your office social calendar and start thinking about ways to bring your team together.
Boosting engagement through social events is a key part of creating the ideal workspace environment. And, with awareness of ecological issues becoming more acute, we’ve got some ideas for making your office events more sustainable and ecologically-friendly.
Getting sociable to boost employee engagement
Keeping your people happy isn’t just a case of ticking some corporate social responsibility (CSR) boxes. It’s actually highly beneficial for the business as a whole. Teams with high employee engagement outperformed lower engagement teams by 10% on customer ratings, 22% in profitability, and 21% in productivity, according to research by Gallup1.
And what better way to put a smile on your team’s faces than with an office social event...
A company social event aids engagement in a number of ways, by getting the whole company to become more connected, more aware of each other’s roles and able to work together as a cohesive unit – a real benefit for any forward-thinking company.
March dates to plan your events around
Planning a successful office event doesn’t happen overnight – and will mean everyone pitching in to get your event organised. You’ll also need to consider the ecological impact of your event, and the key ways to make your office celebration as sustainable as possible.
So start early, get your planning head on and begin discussing a suitable topic, charitable cause or celebration around which to theme your Spring 2020 company events.
Here are some ideas to get your started:
- International Women’s Day: 8 March 2020 – International Women’s Day is a chance to celebrate the achievements of the world’s women, promote the hard-working women in your organisation and raise money for women’s charities and community projects – and don’t forget it’s also Mother’s Day in the UK on 22 March.
- St Patrick’s Day: 17 March 2020 – St Patrick’s Day sets out to celebrate Irish cultural history and the life of Ireland’s patron saint. Think about combining the best music, food and drink to create the ultimate party vibe for your team.
- Spring Equinox: 20 March 2020 – Spring Equinox is a chance to enjoy more daylight as we approach summertime. As the clocks change from Greenwich Mean Time and move into British Summer Time, there is more time for office events! This is a great opportunity to make the most of more daylight and encourage your team to get together! From indoor picnics to evening after work walks, what’s more exciting than the thought of summer being just round the corner.
Minimising your ecological impact
Once you’ve pinned down your event theme and date, that’s when the real organisational work can begin. And it’s a sensible idea to begin working your sustainability considerations and choice of suppliers into your event plan right from the very beginning.
Here are some important ways to promote sustainability:
- Minimise your use of single-use plastic – steer clear of bottled water and drinks in plastic packaging. Use recyclable cups, rather than plastic ones, and use china/glass cups and glasses for serving drinks so you can wash and re-use these.
- Choose local suppliers to reduce your carbon footprint – the further your event supplies travel to get your office, the more carbon will be expended. So always aim to choose local suppliers, bringing down your carbon footprint and also supporting your local business community and small business owners.
- Offer spare food and drink to local charities – if you have food and drink left over, make sure you arrange for this to be used by local homeless charities, or food banks. Wasted food has a huge impact on climate, water, land and biodiversity.
Bringing people together with a coffee
In the UK, we now drink approximately 95 million cups of coffee per day2, according to recent stats from the British Coffee Association. And this growing appreciation for a great cuppa means that coffee is likely to be a key element of your office social events.
As the nation’s favourite coffee brand3, NESCAFÉ® knows a thing or two about producing great coffee for your office. And our large, catering-size tins of instant coffee are the ideal way to deliver coffee at your event.
Choose from our range of quality instant coffees:
- NESCAFÉ® Original – with its full flavour and rich aroma, NESCAFÉ® Original is the tried and tested option for workplaces across the country.
- NESCAFÉ® Gold Blend – NESCAFÉ® Gold Blend delivers a smooth taste and rich aroma, with an expertly blended mix of 100% Arabica and Robusta coffee beans.
- NESCAFÉ® Azera – our barista-style, super-premium coffee provides a rich blend of instant and finely roasted coffee beans; perfect for the discerning coffee aficionado.
Recycling your coffee tins with Nescafé
Recycling the waste from your office event is an important way to boost your eco credentials. But did you know that not all coffee cans are recyclable?
However, there’s good news if you’re stocking NESCAFÉ® coffee at your workplace – our metal coffee tins are completely recyclable. Simply separate the tin, lid, and foil, and place them in the relevant bins at your office recycling hub.
Nestlé places great emphasis on recycling and developing sustainable packaging that can be easily recycled. Our recyclable NESCAFÉ® coffee tins were launched in 2016 and have already saved 7.5 million composite coffee cans from landfill.
If you’re looking for sustainable coffee options for your spring office event calendar, NESCAFÉ® has you covered.
- IRI MAT 52 w/e Jan 2019
- British Coffee Association, Coffee Facts, 2020
- IRI MAT 52 weeks April 2018