More than just a competition, Nestlé Professional Toque d’Or provides a real life contest that informs, tests and pushes catering students in the most exciting ways. By linking education with industry, Toque d’Or presents a series of unique challenges which showcase the exciting reality of industry.
The competition began in 1989 and since then has evolved significantly to become one of the UK’s most prestigious catering competitions. Being part of this competition can change a student’s career, with the industry recognising that Toque d’Or competitors have demonstrated true passion and commitment.
“It is not until you are thrown into a commercial kitchen that you actually learn how to deal with it, and the relevance of all college learning becomes fully realised. This is what the competition does — it throws you in at the deep end! It's only then that you can put all that theory into practice.”
Rosie Maguire, Grand Finalist Toque d’Or 2016 and 2017
25 September - 29 December 2017
Registering a team of students couldn’t be easier! Lecturers should simply email [email protected] with the below information. Remember, you can enter a maximum of two teams to represent your college.
- Lecturer’s full name
- Lecturer’s email address
- College name
- Student 1 name
- Student 2 name
- Student 3 name
The digital entry is the first stage of competition in Toque d’Or. Once a team has been registered an information pack will be emailed to their lecturer with a breakdown of this stage. Consisting of four parts, this must be completed as a team and submitted within the time frame provided by Toque d’Or.
As soon as registration has been confirmed, teams can start working on the first two parts of the digital entry.
- Recipe Submission – teams are asked to come up with a dish based on the theme ‘Good Food, Good Life’. Receiving information from Footprint Media on the subject will provide them with the tools to create the perfect dish, deciding how and why it fits the brief. such as YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook. Your link must be live and submitted on time, however you can start working on this as soon as you register.
- Video Presentation – with the recipe in place, teams must now create a 90 second video presenting the finished plate. They should aim to demonstrate with passion the reasons behind their inspiration, dish and ingredients. The video must be made available via public sharing platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook. The final two parts will be released for a timed period on a date set by Toque d’Or. All four parts of the digital entry must then be submitted together within the set timeframe.
- Multiple Choice – a small number of questions based around the curriculum.
- Industry Question – a written question based on the theme ‘Good Food, Good Life’. Just 24 teams will then be selected to proceed to the National Heats so students should give it their best shot!
February - March 2018
Each of the 24 teams making it through to this stage will be at one of the National Heats, set in two locations across four days.
Every heat will run to exactly the same schedule, ensuring all teams are met with a level playing field when competing. On the day, teams will attend a masterclass from both front and back of house industry experts at which they will be shown a three course meal, wine and service. The challenge will then be to replicate what they have observed, each team producing ten covers as part of a lunch service to guests of Nestlé Professional. Judged against a national standard, the 5 highest scoring teams will go on to compete in the Grand Finals along with the Wild Card team.
The Grand Finals
February - March 2018
The 6 teams making it through to the Grand Finals will face a series of real life experiential tasks that inform, test and challenge them in the most exciting ways.
Finalists will be introduced to a variety of disciplines, giving them insight into the opportunities the hospitality industry has to offer. Across the four days spent competing in London they will encounter surprise challenges, each contributing to one of the following scenarios.
- Certification Day
- Industry Day
- Fine Dining Day
- Presentation Day
This is the opportunity to experience life in a professional environment – interact, work with and learn from masters in the field. Make an impact at this final stage of the competition!
With over 300 industry guests at the glittering awards ceremony, all eyes will be on the finalists… who will be crowned the winners and join the roll of honour?
- 2017 University College Birmingham
- 2016 University College Birmingham
- 2015 Westminster Kingsway College
- 2014 City of Glasgow College
- 2013 South West College
- 2012 Westminster Kingsway College
- 2011 University College Birmingham
- 2010 University College Birmingham
- 2009 North Devon College
- 2008 Carlisle College
- 2007 Blackpool & The Fylde College
- 2006 South Trafford College
- 2005 Westminster Kingsway College
- 2004 Carlisle College
- 2003 Sheffield College
- 2002 Neath Port Talbot College
- 2001 Neath Port Talbot College
- 2000 Glenrothes College
- 1999 Southampton City College
- 1998 Glenrothes College
- 1997 Bournemouth & Poole College
- 1996 John Wheatley College
- 1995 Thanet College
- 1994 Motherwell College
- 1993 Colchester College
- 1992 Thanet College
- 1991 Brunel College of Technology
- 1990 Motherwell College
- 1989 Brighton College of Technology
Winning the prestigious Nestlé Professional Toque d’Or and being one of a select number of colleges to have achieved this distinction is an accolade in itself.
Toque d’Or awards prizes to individuals and colleges competing from the National Heats stage onwards. Both students and colleges will receive prizes from the Savoy Educational Trust Toque d’Or equipment fund as well as students receiving commemorative uniforms. Those competing in the Grand Finals might also find they are awarded with additional gifts along the way!
We’re here to help you and your business.
Whether you’re looking for creative food and drink solutions or need specific information on our range of products or services, just ask and we’d be happy to help.
You can get in touch with us in a number of different ways.
ROI: 00800 6378 5385
All trademarks and other intellectual property appearing on this site are owned by Société de Produits Nestlé S.A Vevey, Switzerland. Nestle Professional, a division of Nestlé UK Ltd. Registered in the United Kingdom No. 51491 at 1 City Place, Gatwick, RH6 0PA.